History of Trunch
We welcome old photographs relating to Trunch, or any interesting details about Trunch history or Trunch people.
The name Trunch may be derived from Le Tronchet Abbey (which had possessions in Norfolk) or from the Celtic for ‘wood on a promontory’ (Literary Norfolk).
There is an old Norfolk rhyme which mentions Trunch:
‘Gimingham, Trimingham, Knapton, Trunch,
Northrepps, Southrepps, lie all in a bunch.’
The NORTH NORFOLK BREWERY was founded by William Primrose in 1837.The brewery was later handed down to his son Philip ( one of 14 children).
Philip Smyth Primrose is described in 1877 as brewer & maltster, and agent for Truman, Hanbury, and Buxton’s Stout. The malthouse was at North Walsham. In 1904 W. D. Churchill took over. In 1939 the brewery became registered as a private company. It was taken over by Morgans in 1952.
Read more about the recent history of Trunch brewery, including some pictures >>>
Its products were advertised in 1938 as being available in Cask, Bottle or CAN. “Take a carton of cans aboard with you”. The Trunch brewery was a pioneer in the canned beer market. read more>>>